Tuesday 22 December 2015

I Heart Cambodia!

Happy Tuesday Everyone!

Today I am sharing the final part of our recent trip to Vietnam and Cambodia! It has taken me a while I know but hey, better late than never! 


I honestly didn't know very much about Cambodia before we left. I knew there where a few major touristy things that where on the to-do list but I didn't not a whole lot about food, culture etc. (Very un-me to be this care free when traveling!) Regardless we had an incredible time and I fell head over heels for this small but amazing country. 



An ABSOLUTE must do when in Cambodia is Angkor Wat. One of the most famous temples  in the world! 


Angkor Wat is huge and I would highly recommend hiring a tour guide to show you around. You can find local tour guides at the front of the temple and should cost you around $12 USD for an hour. 
Our guide was worth every cent! 


He knew everything from the stories behind the inscriptions on the walls to the best photo opportunities *as seen above ;) 

When talking to friends who had previously been to Cambodia, one tour organisation came up constantly, SRM Motor tours. Established by local, Bun the company provides exciting tours for visitors and uses tour fees to provide Cambodian people with  care packages and food. As well as financially supporting an elementary school established by the company. 

We arranged a one day tour before we left home and let me tell you this jam-packed day was one of the highlights of our trip! 




Our guide, Bun took us to the elementary school their organisation established. The kids where very excited to have visitors, they where sweet, funny and eager to show us their english skills. 


We visited a traditional Hindu temple and received a water blessing from a residing Monk. 


Helped hand out care packages and food to locals. *80% of people in Cambodia live under the poverty line, so providing these people with basic toiletries and food can make a huge impact. 


We ate bugs... apparently they are a local delicacy! I still don't think I will serve them at my next dinner party. 


And witnessed this sunset via boat which was truly breath taking. 



Accommodation is cheap no matter where you stay in Cambodia. We decided to stay somewhere that was in the centre of the city, wasn't going to blow the budget but was still nice. We eventually chose La Niche D'Angkor Boutique Hotel and it was fabulous. Check it out here. 

Considering an exciting and active holiday, look no further than Cambodia! 

Lou xxx



No comments:

Post a Comment