Thursday 4 February 2016

Feels Like Home

Morning Everyone! 

In the last few years I have been lucky enough to travel the world and even live long term in some pretty impressive places. From Europe to the middle east, and back in good old Australia. My 'home' or more specifically, postal address has changed a handful of times in the last three years. 

With every move I have left family, friends, beloved pets and my childhood bed behind. And although I inevitably cry when I arrive in my bare, new home for the first time. I now have a pretty simple recipe to making a new surrounding feel a little like mine. 

These are the FIVE things I need to make my new place a home rather than my designated meltdown zone! And I know they will help all you new movers as well! 

Bedding


This may sound basic, but a cute new quilt cover and soft throw blanket will brighten your day. I am actually curled up in my bed, new sheets and all as I write this very post! After all what says home more than your soft, cuddly bed! 

Candles 
If it can't look like home, it can at least smell like home! Thanks to a quick trip to Bath and Body Works, my new apartment smells fantastic, relaxing and a little bit like home! I wonder if they sell a wet labrador retriever candle?? Then I really would be at home ;) 

Toiletries 


Getting your basic hygiene together at this early stage in your move can really help you settle in. Being at home means being in a routine or having some form of consistency. So organising some nice new toiletries is a great start. I love my shampoo and conditioner (which I have been using for years) so I make sure to bring enough with me to use until I can track some down in my new city. Otherwise  buying some new delicious smelling soap, shampoo, a new loafer and face wash can not only make you feel clean but a little more 'together' in this hectic transition. 

Photos 


You can't buy these but they are by far the most valuable and important possessions you may ever have. Wherever I am living be it in my parents house or my collage dorm, I have always and will always have photos on the walls. If I can't be with my loved ones everyday I at least want to see their smiling faces through a 4 x 6 photo.


Treat your self 



moving can be tough and navigating a new city, friendships and home is even more stressful. I always like to buy myself something 'cheap and charming' when I first move to a city. This time it is a $20
 H & M jumper. This is also a practical purchase since I haven't quite mastered the air-conditioning in my new home!  #wheresdadwhenyouneedhim

Treat yourself moving folk, you deserve it!

Lou xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment